Sunday, January 4, 2015

I Eat Like a Man When My Man is Silent

It's been clear to me, from the moment I met H, that my fiance is, in many ways, a better human being than I am.  I'm not even trying to be dramatic, I honestly believe it.  While I may have more patience and subtle ways of maneuvering through the day, H is hands down more dedicated to cultivating a peaceful presence in the world.  That's why it came as no surprise to me when he decided to participate in a 10 day silent meditation retreat.  In my gut I knew he could complete the retreat but I never knew how much it would affect my eating habits.

It's not mystery that H is the cook in this relationship.  Before I met him I was a single girl who lived alone with three cats.  I worked a lot, taught writing, and had little time to take care of myself.  I ate a lot of rice and beans and an assortment of frozen meals.  I was also a vegetarian at the time so I had less food options in my culinary cabinet.  The main point here is...I was and is lazy in the kitchen department.  Whenever H has to leave for a couple days, he makes sure there is an assortment of healthy and fresh food options in the fridge.  He asks me over and over what I am going to eat in his absence and I usually mutter something about beer and pizza.  He smiles at my snarky response but I know he is concerned that upon his return I will be sprawled on the couch, beer bottles and pizza boxes strewn about the apartment, with two cats sleeping on my face.  In all honesty, this may not be a far fetched reality.

On December 9, H left for his retreat and I was left to fend for my own.  During his time away I wouldn't be able to communicate with him at all.  No text messages, no e-mails, and no phone calls were allowed during this time.  H's job was to sit in a retreat center, located in Michigan, and meditate.  I'm sure thoughts of my well-being swirled through his head but his main goal was to work on himself during this time.  I was so proud of him for taking on such a difficult task but my hungry stomach felt otherwise.

My first dinner alone proved to be pathetic and hilarious.  It was at that moment that I decided to document my meals while H was away.  Since I would be alone for 5 days before I headed home to spend Christmas with my family, I thought it would be a great way to remember how much my stomach lovingly depends on H's skills in the kitchen.

Now that the holidays are over I have time to share with you my exotic and processed dinners that I endured while H was away.  I hope you enjoy it! Maybe you'll consider sending me some home-cooked meals after reading my food entries. Yes, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment